May 24, 2010

mantel :: before and after

I thought I took a before picture of our living room fireplace mantel before I took everything down, but I guess I didn't. Or at least I can't find it if I did. Which is the case in most instances. Like my brain. I haven't been able to locate that darn thing for at least a month now.
This picture was taken from the craft closet take-over. I had piled everything from a self onto the fireplace which is not how we've lived with the fireplace to date. But it gives you some idea of the mishmash-up like how the clock was not centered on the wall because I simply hung it on an existing nail. I had a few glass jars here and there. Sometimes they had things in them and something they did not. I wasn't in love with the look, but I didn't hate it either.
Then, one day a local craft store had a warehouse sale. I went to check it out having the thought firmly planted in my front lobe that I would not buy a bunch of "stuff" no matter how cheap it was. And I was successful in that until I was preparing to leave, empty handed. That was when I walked passed a huge mirror for....gulp....39 bucks. I've always wanted a big mirror and this deal was just too darn good to pass up.
So I bought that sucker and precariously loaded it into my minivan and brought it home.
BEFORE:

This weekend Mr. Hawthorne hung it on the wall over the fireplace mantel, all centered and everything. I am extremely pleased. I also purchased that lovely vase you see there for a whopping two dollars. I added some branches from the backyard and Voila! Instant makeover!

Next up, we need to get some paint on these walls.

AFTER:

No comments: