July 7, 2009

mad science

You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out.
Fun is what science is all about!
Did you know I get the most hits (almost daily) on this little blog about a very home-made and super easy Strawberry Shortcake Centerpiece I created for Petite Artiste's third birthday party. Who knew something like that would bring the most traffic to Little Irish.


If you know me at all, you would know I tend to go a little hog-wild over my children's birthday parties. I love everything about them from planning the theme and creating the invites to decorating the house and putting together goody bags. And, every year I only get three chances to create and celebrate. Oh, don't get my wrong, I have a had few duds but I learn from what didn't work and try different ideas. For us, good old fashion backyard parties have always worked the best. Luckily, we have have spring/summer birthdays in these parts so letting kids run around and be outside is perfect. I've tired a few "pre-planned" places (although I've managed to avoid the bouncy house thus far) and they have never turned out that great. We celebrated at the museum one year but it was too far to drive and a little too boring I thought. We had a cooking party one year too but the "teacher" didn't let the kids do anything but watch her so I left very disappointed. Plus, when these places charge by the kid, it can get pretty darn spendy. So our little backyard has turned into the happening party destination for our family.


This year for El Fuego's 8th party, we are becoming mad scientists. We have researched experiments and thought about fun goodies to make. I'm currently trying to talk an old co-worker into dressing up as Albert Einstein and walking the boys through the experiments. Ever since my adorable friend offered to dress perfectly as Alice from Alice in Wonderland for Miss Divine's fifth birthday party, I love bringing "characters" in. It really makes the party I think!!!


Above are the invitations inviting our junior professors to Backyard Laboratories. The invites are simple, cheap and easy. I just printed them using Microsoft Word. However, we rolled them up and put them in test tubes which makes them fun and special. I'm hoping the postage doesn't kill me.

No comments: