December 3, 2008

some days

I feel very fortunate to have found a little niche with a group of people that I love dearly near and far. People who remind me of their sweetness often. What I would do without the little notes, texts, hellos, pictures, cards and emails I simply do not know. They hold me up. They make me smile. They make me laugh. However, there are some days where my faith in humanity is tested. My patience and tolerance for rude and mean behavior goes missing. It always feels like the holiday season brings out the worst in people and is when our tolerance and patience is most tested. The time of year when we are to be appreciating what we have and making magical memories with our loved ones, is the time of year we are faced with fighting hoards of people acting like jerks.

A friend recently posted a wonderful challenge called 29 Gifts on her blog. In which for 29 days you focus on giving one gift each day...whether it be a few dollars to charity, or holding a door open for a woman with a stroller, or dropping off coffee to a teacher, or an acknowledging smile to a mother with a screaming toddler, or, or, or. The possibilities are endless. I was instantly inspired and have been somewhat, secretly, participating. but for the month of December I committed myself to concentrating on giving at least one gift per day. The thought process is in the act of giving, you will open yourself up to receiving. In focusing on making another's day a little more happy, I hope to gain more tolerance and patience for those forgetting what the holidays are truly about myself. Let's see if it works. Seasons Greetings to you and yours!!

No comments: