May 14, 2008

the story of my life

This morning I left the house with the girls to take The Divine Miss O to speech. I hit the side streets and back roads to avoid school traffic. I was in a line of cars easing up to the back of a school bus when "SPLAT!" something hit my front window with a thud. The bright orange-yellow goo slipped down my window. I was stunned but reached for my cell phone and dialed 911.

"911 . . what's your emergency?"

"Hi. I am driving and I think I was just hit with a raw egg or maybe a paint ball."

Although I drive these roads often, I never remember street names. So as I drove up to the stop light I was able to tell the gal on the line just where I was.

"I'm on Issaquah-Pine Lake Road SE, driving towards the intersection of SE Issaquah-Fall City Road. I was near the construction heading towards the church, that I don't know the name of, when I was hit with something."

"Where are you?"

"Pine Lake-Issaquah . . . . .I mean, SE Issaquah-Pine Lake Road . . . . no wait, Issaquah-Pine Lake Road SE" "Ugh" "Near the construction."

"What happened?"

"I think someone is throwing eggs or shooting paint balls at cars and I was hit."

"What intersection?"

"Holy crap! I'm at the intersection of Issaquah-Fall City and Pine Lake-Issaquah . . . . I think." "Oh I don't know! I was near the construction on whatever road I said I was on."

"wlkhtoienlknldhoht . . . . Just a minute . . . . "

Huh?

About a minute later.

Man's voice: "Hello ma'am, what happened?"

"I have no idea at this point!" "Okay . . . . I was driving down SE Issaquah-Pine Lake Road, near the construction before the church, when I got hit with what looks like a raw egg or a paint ball."

"Did you see the person?"

"No"

"What intersection were you at?"

"Oh my God!" "At this point, I have no idea!" sigh "I was on Issaquah-Pine Lake-Fall City something SE . . . . .What was the street I said I was on the first time?"

"Issaquah-Pine Lake RD SE?"

"Yes!" sigh "That's it!" "Near the construction, before the big church."

"I'm not familiar with the area ma'am."

"Ugh!" " I was on whatever first road I said I was on, Issaquah South-East something, driving towards the intersection of SE Issaquah-Fall City whatever road. When I was about a mile and half before the stoplight, I was hit with something that I think is a raw egg."

"Did you see the person?"

"No, I'm driving." "I just passed two Issaquah police officers very close to where I was hit though."

"Are you driving South?"

"I have no idea . . . . . "

"Okay, please hold and I'll transfer you to a non-emergency line so you can file a report."

"Thanks!"

silence

silence

silence

"Hello, all our staff are currently busy helping other calls. Please hold."

silence

silence

silence

silence

"Hello, all our staff are currently busy helping other calls. Please hold."

silence

silence

silence

silence

"Hello, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

And with that, I hang up . . . .

No comments: